The Mariazellerbahn is a 760mm gauge line running some 84km between St. Pölten Hbf and Mariazell, it originally continued a further 7km to Gußwerk (closed in 1988).
The line reached Mariazell in 1907 and was electrified between 1907 and 1911, becoming one of the first lines in Europe (other than tramways) to be so equipped. Some of the original electric locos still work the line today although they have all been rebuilt.
In 2010 the line was taken over by NÖVOG
from the state railway ÖBB
© JandJ Cottrell's Rail Photos